Nebraska Outdoor Calendar
- This event has passed.
Buffalo Bill BioBlitz
June 4 @ 7:30 am - 7:00 pm
One event on June 4, 2022 at 7:30 am
Buffalo Bill State Recreation Area BioBlitz is for all ages! Enjoy two days of exploring outdoor Nebraska with some of our state’s best biologists. The information you help collect during the BioBlitz is used by wildlife biologists to conserve Nebraska’s wildlife.
Professional biologists are traveling from all over Nebraska to show you the species they study. We will be searching for wildlife like frogs, snakes, fish, aquatic invasive species, birds, bats and other small mammals. We will even learn about herbaceous plants and plant a community pollinator garden in the park. Nebraska’s Conservation Officers and the Nebraska Fur Harvesters will show pelts, skulls and bones of Nebraska native wildlife and answer any questions about wildlife law.
We will meet at the picnic shelter in Buffalo Bill State Recreation Area.
The event is free. A Nebraska state park entry permit is required. Park permits can be purchased at the park the day of the event or online at OutdoorNebraska.org.
Dogs are not permitted for this event as to not disturb wildlife. This event is subject to COVID-19 regulations. Masks and hand sanitizer will be available. Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of events
Friday, June 3 (Central time)
- 5 – 6:30 m. – Set reptile and amphibian traps with Dennis Ferraro
- 6:30 – 8 p.m. – Set small mammal traps with Mike Schrad
- 8 – 9 m. – Set bat nets with Brett Andersen
- 9 p.m. – Remaining evening: Show guests bats that were netted. Learn about bats and netting techniques.
Saturday, June 4 (Central time)
- 7 – 8:30 a.m. – Release small mammals with Mike Schrad
- 8:45 – 10 a.m. – Birding with Olivia DaRugna and Delanie Bruce
- 10:15 – 11:30 a.m. – Conservation officers, Crime Stoppers trailer and Nebraska Fur Harvesters show pelts, skulls and bones, and answer questions about wildlife law
- 11:45 – 1 p.m. – Amphibians with Dennis Ferraro
- 1 – 2 p.m. – Lunch
- 2 – 3:30 p.m. – Reptiles with Dennis Ferraro
- 3:45 – 5 p.m. – Fisheries and Aquatic Invasive Species with Thad Huenemann and Kris Stahr
- 5:15 – 7 p.m. – Community Pollinator Garden Planting and Herbaceous Plants with David Lott and John Springer